Office of Institutional Research

Financial Aid and Loans

Student financial aid information and data, state grant assistance, national student loan data system, entrance and exit counseling, private education loan disclosures, code of conduct for education loans, and preferred lender lists and arrangements

Prospective and enrolled students are encouraged to contact individuals from the appropriate office for information and assistance regarding financial aid:

Undergraduate Student Financial Aid

Graduate Student Financial Aid

Medical Student Financial Aid

Financial Aid Statistics for Fall 2021: All Undergraduates

Type of Aid % of Undergrads Receiving Aid Total Amount of Aid Received Average Amount of Aid Received
Grant or Scholarship 47% $182,544,062 $52,652
Pell Grant 13% $4,850,690 $5,058
Federal Student Loan 9% $3,959,530 $5,681


Federal and State Grants: State scholarships are provided by select states for eligible students. A Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) is also required from students to be considered for these grants.

Information for students and parents who have Direct Loans or who want information about the William D. Ford Loan Programs can be found on the following websites:

Financing Alternatives


NSLDS Students Access: NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for Title IV student aid. Inquiries can be made to this website about Title IV loans and/or Pell grants. The site displays information on loan and/or grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan statuses, and disbursements. In order to use the NSLDS Student Access web site, you will need to provide your social security number (SSN), the first two digits of your last name, your date of birth, and your PIN (formerly known as EAC).

Entrance Counseling

  • To complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling, students should visit the Direct Loan Servicing Center. This interactive entrance counseling session will provide useful tips and tools to help develop a budget for managing educational expenses and assist in understanding loan rights and responsibilities.
  • To complete Federal Perkins Loan Entrance Counseling, students should visit Mapping Your Future. Click on "Online Student Loan Counseling" and select "Perkins Entrance".

Exit Counseling

  • Prior to graduating or leaving the University, borrowers of both Perkins and Stafford loans are required to complete exit counseling. Contact Brown's Loan Office at 401-863-3296 or with questions regarding this requirement.

Students and parents may consider securing a private educational loan beyond any need-based loans administered by the Office of Financial Aid. Brown does not endorse one private loan program over another. However, the Office of Financial Aid has created a Private Education Loan Checklist that we recommend students consider.

If you are considering borrowing a private loan, please review the information available through Brown's Office of Financial Aid: Private Education Loans.