Office of Institutional Research

Professional Licensures

To be a licensed engineer all states require documentation of education or equivalent and accept a degree from an ABET accredited engineering program, in addition to passing exams and/or demonstrating sufficient work experience. At Brown seven bachelor of science programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. These are the programs in BiomedicalChemicalComputer, ElectricalMaterials, and Mechanical Engineering. Within each of these concentration programs there are several options, each of which is accredited and eligible for pursuit of certification or licensure in each state

Upon completion of the Master of Arts and Teaching (MAT) program and the appropriate Praxis II test(s), students are eligible for Rhode Island certification in secondary education (grades 7-12). The MAT program leads to certification in the state of RI in the following areas:
  • Secondary Grades Biology Teacher (Grades 7-12)
  • Secondary Grades Chemistry Teacher (Grades 7-12)
  • Secondary Grades English Teacher (Grades 7-12)
  • Secondary Grades Mathematics Teacher (Grades 7-12) - (beginning May 2021 graduates)
  • Secondary Grades Physics Teacher (Grades 7-12)
  • Secondary Grades Social Studies Teacher (7-12)
Rhode Island is a member of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement, allowing graduates reciprocal certification without transcript evaluation in most states.  Graduates of the program may be eligible for teacher certification by transcript evaluation in states that are not NASDTEC members. Please note that several states require additional testing such as Massachusetts, New York, and California.

Brown's Warren Alpert Medical School Doctor of Medicine program is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). At the end of their medical education, students are certified as having completed their requirements for the medical degree, and that information is used for them to obtain a license to work as residents under supervision by a licensed physician in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.